Helping Consumers Find Relief after Purchasing a Lemon
Purchasing a vehicle is a big deal. Often, you will sign for a substantial loan to receive a vehicle you expect to rely on for years to come. It can be frustrating to learn that your new vehicle has major problems that require it to be in and out of the dealer on a regular basis. Even if a warranty covers the costs of any repairs—or attempted repairs—the situation can become daunting, and the vehicle may even be unsafe to drive.
If your vehicle is under warranty and has chronic problems that disrupt your life, the good news is that California has laws that protect consumers in this situation. The “Lemon Law” is part of the Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, and it protects consumers who have purchased defective vehicles, known as “lemons.”
California Lemon Law can apply to the following:
- Cars – When you purchase a new—or new to you—car for your household, you expect it to get you and your family where you need to go. This can include taking your kids to school, getting to work, running errands, and attending the many activities busy families often have. When your car has chronic problems, it can make it extremely difficult to get all members of your family everywhere they need to go.
- Trucks – Many people purchase pickup trucks for work purposes—whether you are hauling equipment, towing trailers, or transporting large items, a truck can be necessary. If your new truck is defective, it is not only inconvenient, but it can also interrupt your ability to work and affect your livelihood. If you own your own business or your business has five or fewer trucks, you may have rights under the Lemon Law.
- Motorcycles – Riding a motorcycle can be thrilling but also inherently risky. The risks increase substantially if a motorcycle has one or more defects. Some defects may not be as apparent or worrisome in cars or trucks, but motorcyclists should never continue to operate a motorcycle that has problems, as they can lead to a highly dangerous motorcycle accident.
- Motorhomes – Many California families like to travel on the open road in a motorhome or RV. If you are thousands of miles away from home, the last thing you want to happen is to become stranded due to a defect in your new motorhome. Your family may have no way to get home while the RV is in the repair shop—and it may be difficult to find a warranty-approved repair facility out of state. You may incur extensive costs for hotels and transportation and may hesitate to use your new motorhome again.
No matter what type of vehicle you have, you deserve to trust that vehicle will get you where you need to go. If you experience repeated issues with your vehicle while it is under warranty, call our San Bernardino Lemon Law Firm to learn about your rights and options today.
Complicated Lemon Laws
You may think that you can simply return the car to the dealer claiming it is not driveable. However, while you do have options, the law does not make it that easy, unfortunately. First, there are specific requirements you must meet for your vehicle to qualify as a “lemon.” Specifically, the car must be under warranty, must have a substantial impairment, and the repair facility had a reasonable number of times to try to repair the defect.
- A substantial impairment – Many problems with vehicles can qualify as a substantial impairment under the law. The important point is the problem must be substantial—it cannot be a minor or merely annoying issue. In many cases (but not all), the defect makes the vehicle unsafe to operate and puts drivers and passengers at risk of harm or death. To know whether your car’s defect qualifies, consult with our attorneys right away.
- A reasonable number of repair attempts – This can also vary depending on the situation. The law presumes that two times is reasonable for a dangerous defect and four times for another type of defect. Also, if your car is in the shop for 30 days, the presumption exists. However, this is not black-and-white, as many other situations may qualify as long as the car is still under warranty. Again, our law firm will evaluate whether your situation meets the requirements of a lemon.
Even if your car is clearly a lemon under the law, manufacturers can be difficult. They can try to intimidate consumers or delay cases to a frustrating degree. The best way to exercise your rights as a consumer against a vehicle manufacturer is to consult with a skilled and experienced lemon law attorney.
Our law firm can help you obtain the relief you need from the hassles, stress, and costs of owning a lemon. The following are the main options for relief in such cases:
Discuss Your Options with a San Bernardino Lemon Law Attorney Today
If you believe your vehicle is a lemon, do not wait any longer to exercise your rights and find relief from the stress of constant vehicle trouble and repairs. A California Lemon Law Attorney at the Law Offices of Sotera L. Anderson is ready to help you seek a refund, cash settlement, or replacement for your lemon. We work with consumers day in and day out and stand up for your rights under California law. We represent you for free and only receive payment from the lemon manufacturers. Please do not hesitate to call the office at 1-855-96-(LEMON) or provide information about your situation via our online contact form.