Automobile Lemon Laws in California
The Law Offices of Sotera L. Anderson is committed to helping consumers who have unknowingly purchased defective vehicles, which is why our practice focuses on lemon law.
We understand how much people rely on their vehicles on an everyday basis, and know how an unreliable car can completely disrupt your life.
If you are like most Americans, a vehicle is one of the most significant purchases you will ever make. People often spend tens of thousands of dollars on new or used cars, and consumers rightfully expect anything that expensive to last for years and perform as expected. Unfortunately, this does not always occur, and consumers throughout the state regularly experience significant problems with vehicles that a manufacturer’s warranty should cover.
If you are experiencing significant problems with a vehicle that is under warranty, it’s important to understand your legal rights. The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, commonly known as California’s lemon law may entitle you to relief in the form of a refund or replacement car.
What is the Automobile Lemon Law in California?
Consumers who have unknowingly purchased lemon cars are entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle from the manufacturer. But, what exactly is a lemon? Is your vehicle covered by this law? Your car might be a lemon if it meets the following criteria:
- You purchased or leased a new or used car from a dealer in California.
- During the factory warranty period, you took the car in several times for the same problem.
- The dealer has made multiple attempts to repair the vehicle, but the problem still exists.
- The problem is so significant that it impacts the vehicle’s use, value, or safety.
If your car meets these conditions, it could be a lemon.
What Should You Do If Your Vehicle Is A Lemon?
There are certain steps you should take to protect your rights under California’s lemon laws. If you believe your vehicle is a lemon, here’s what you should do:
- Let the manufacturer or dealer know about the problems you are experiencing with the vehicle.
- Document the nature of the problems, including when they started.
- Take the vehicle in to the dealer or manufacturer for repairs as soon as possible.
- Save all documents that are related to the repair—don’t rely on the dealer or manufacturer to keep these for you.
- If the problem persists after multiple repair attempts, contact an attorney right away. Many manufacturers aggressively defend against lemon law claims, and retaining experienced legal counsel early on will maximize your chances of success.
Remember, there are deadlines that must be met in order to file a lemon law claim. If you miss these deadlines, you could lose out on the opportunity to exercise your rights under the lemon law. Don’t delay—contact an attorney right away to seek justice.
Speak With A California Lemon Lawyer About Your Case Today
Do you think your car qualifies as a lemon? If so, it’s important to speak to an experienced lemon law attorney as soon as possible. California’s lemon law provides consumers with significant protections. However, the law is complicated, which makes it difficult for consumers to obtain relief without legal assistance even if they have valid claims.
Fortunately, Sotera L. Anderson can help. Ms. Anderson is a skilled attorney who is committed to protecting the rights of consumers who were sold vehicles with serious problems. Her previous experience representing vehicle manufacturers and dealers gives her the insights needed to bring your case to the best resolution possible. To schedule a free consultation regarding your case, call 1-855-96-LEMON or fill out the form on this website.